Tremek Car Videos - Street Car Drag Racing Videos  

Go Back   Tremek Car Videos - Street Car Drag Racing Videos > Car Tech Section > Performance Modifications

Tremek Car Video Forum

Custom Wheels
5 Grand on Mod.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jan 2005, 07:21 pm   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Default 5 Grand on Mod.

Question? If you only had 5 grand to through on a '98 Civic Ex, what mods would you recommend to me? I know 5 grand isn't much but also it is a daily driver so it has to be street legal. I am struggling with off the shelf turbo kit or the swap... help? Thanks
Mutt Cutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Jan 2005, 10:53 pm   #2 (permalink)
Cool Tremekian

Send a message via AIM to Sp3aK

Trade it in and use your money to buy another car Preferably something rear wheel drive... :P

Seriously? I would save the money. But if your really set on spending it, then you can make it go a LONGGGG way. $5,000 would do so much for my car(well my dad owns a shop and is a 20yr experience mechanic so i guess i have connections, but still).

I would go turbo. But get something decent. Be sure to do the whole thing right and talk to several people that deal with performance before you buy ANYTHING let alone get something installed. It's better to do everything all at once than try and piece things together over time. If your going turbo then make the car a sleeper(if you havent already kitted it up i mean). But you can make $5,000 go far if you look around for good deals. Hell with that much you could prolly find an entire engine to put in! But I say go turbo, theres not really a whole lot else you can do to it as far as I know that will give you any decent HP increase.

'86 Volvo 240 DL Wagon (153rwhp / 202ft-lb @ 10psi)
Sp3aK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2005, 12:44 pm   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Yeah thankx for the advice. I did want to get something rear wheel drive but I am going to school and it will be a while till I have a job that pays good enough to have a kick ass rear wheel drive. I basically have to play with what I got and be happy with it for several years. I could save the money but what fun will that be!? I also do not care for the looks of body kits and extreme exhaust. Those are all attention getters!! I have learned from experience that it is best to go as stealth as possible, IE keep attention away from cops and potential robbers. I do like the Edelbrock turbo kit but with that 176 hp to the tires too me isn't much so connecting rods a pistons and other parts will be needed. I would be happy with 250 reliable whp!!
Mutt Cutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2005, 03:38 pm   #4 (permalink)
Cool Tremekian

sell the car.. and get like $2,000 or even $3,000 for it...

That leaves you with about $8,000 to spend...

if you want a kick ass RWD car... buy a 240SX for like $3,000 and spend another $3,000 on an SR20DET and install... and add a few mods...

there ya go then you can sell your old motor for a few hundred.. and you will have one kick ass ride

1978 280Z Boring Mods :
F54/P90a turbo engine, Holset HY35W turbo, 440cc injectors, full 3" open exhuast, Megasquirt EMS,
Arizona Springs, Tokico 5ways, BIG sway bars
www.putfile.com/proxlamus
SEE my 280Z in ACTION! VIDEO!
proxlamus© is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jan 2005, 05:00 pm   #5 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Send a message via AIM to seanjohn

i would do headers exhaust air intake intake throttel body and rims

slow cars suck.
seanjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Jan 2005, 10:52 pm   #6 (permalink)
Cool Tremekian

Send a message via AIM to Sp3aK

If you want to trade in the car, depending on its condition, you should get something upwards of $4-5k for it(I did a quick KBB assuming standard options and in good condition, then 120,000 for milage). I'm sure I'm way off on the milage, but thats a decent amount of money to get another car.

I'm sure you could FIND a 240 at a dealership somewhere and do a straight up trade and either pay nothing or get some money back. $5,000 into something like a 240 would be realll nice. Also Volvo has some nice rear wheel drive cars(anything early 90's and before), and despite what you might think, they are fairly simple to mod and there is a great potential for HP gain(www.turbobircks.com).

Let us know what you decide to do.

'86 Volvo 240 DL Wagon (153rwhp / 202ft-lb @ 10psi)
Sp3aK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2005, 04:07 pm   #7 (permalink)
Senior Tremekian

Send a message via AIM to jdmlude2000 Send a message via MSN to jdmlude2000

you have a good car to start with i would also recommend a Header intake and exhaust upgrade before you swap motors. you will get more benefits from that before you do off of a motor swap. then go for some new coil overs or just a spring upgrade which ever you decide . then ration the last of it to a set of good tires and if there is money left then go for rims. or comprimise and get a decent rims and tires. its all

turbo kit = bad idea if u are not planning on upgrading some other stuff. it may be bolt on but it will rip your motor or anything else that gets in its way if u dont change some stuff ...

haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer99 View Post
WOW THANKS FOR THAT IMPORTANT INFORMATION! lets all get onto the short bus and take a trip to who gives a shit.

BANNED
congrats bmxer i haven't changed my sig in a REALLY LONG time but that was ... inspirational
jdmlude2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jan 2005, 05:11 pm   #8 (permalink)
Cool Tremekian

i would do an engine swap... im not a honda guy so i dont know how much it would cost but get somthing like b18, er b20, even a h22 from JDMLUDE2000's prelude.... lol
Old 26 Jan 2005, 06:50 pm   #9 (permalink)
Fanatic Tremekian

Send a message via AIM to turbo15

K20! or turbocharge that sucker
Old 26 Jan 2005, 07:36 pm   #10 (permalink)
Cool Tremekian

Send a message via AIM to LsRTurbo

K20 is the hotness for the new civics nowadays. 5000 could get u a k20a3. but that is not as good as the rsx type s motor. save more money and invest in the type s motor and then you are strait.

but yea man you should get a 240sx. rear wheel drives are hot in the market cause of drifting and stuff. sell the civic and get like 4-6k and use that to get a 240sx and get the sr20det and other things.
LsRTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jan 2005, 09:11 am   #11 (permalink)
Regular Tremekian

could you try importing a 240sx? as they all come with sr20det's as standard over here on the s14 and s14a, and with ca18det's in the s13

even with the money you have you could get an s13 with 300bhp, 18's, coilovers, bodykit, etc....

they are very good cars too, i own one
Chris-B is offline   Reply With Quote