Tremek Car Videos - Street Car Drag Racing Videos  

Go Back   Tremek Car Videos - Street Car Drag Racing Videos > Car Tech Section > Performance Modifications

Tremek Car Video Forum

Custom Wheels
SR20DET Swap........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Sep 2004, 03:27 pm   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Default SR20DET Swap........

Well I'm really close to getting my SR20DET... But I have a few concerns. I can get the engine for $2000 from a magazine. But people tell me that it dont come with all the parts I need to do tha swap. I can also go to eBaymotors.com and get the motor for about $1900 and says it comes with a lot of stuff to go with the swap. The question I have is which way should I go? Go with the magazine or go with eBay? Well if anyone has a SR20DET...feel free to leave some tips for the engine swap.
eVo8FrEaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Sep 2004, 03:39 pm   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVo8FrEaK
Well I'm really close to getting my SR20DET... But I have a few concerns. I can get the engine for $2000 from a magazine. But people tell me that it dont come with all the parts I need to do tha swap. I can also go to eBaymotors.com and get the motor for about $1900 and says it comes with a lot of stuff to go with the swap. The question I have is which way should I go? Go with the magazine or go with eBay? Well if anyone has a SR20DET...feel free to leave some tips for the engine swap.
http://www.hybridynamics.com/

ask for Jay or Eric

Jays 240 just went 10.90's w/ that swap
Old 22 Sep 2004, 03:42 pm   #3 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Default Nothing is coming up....

the website is coming out as an error.....
Old 22 Sep 2004, 03:43 pm   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eVo8FrEaK
the website is coming out as an error.....
I fixed it
Old 22 Sep 2004, 03:55 pm   #5 (permalink)
OCG
Fanatic Tremekian

Send a message via AIM to OCG

u might wanna try this http://www.sr20detperformance.com/store.html

they should have every thing u need as in motors,biger turbos,all kinds of parts etc.
click to see them

"you never go full retard"
OCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Sep 2004, 06:50 pm   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

front clip is the easiest way to go comes with everything you need, jarco , soko and there are a few others just search on google or yahoo. personally when I was looking for my jdm engine ebay charged way more then I got it from soko / soshin. Try to find a place closest to you cuz shipping is a big killer on the price cuz things are so heavy and fairly big. My friend paid 2500 for a sr20 front clip.
Old 24 Sep 2004, 05:27 am   #7 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Do front clip, the last thing you want to do is have to piece together parts someone wanted to sell for unknown reasons on EBAY
SR240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2004, 09:50 am   #8 (permalink)
Fanatic Tremekian

The whole clip is definatly the way to go!!! Especially if this is your first SR swap!

we always buy clips, unless we are going to custom make most of the parts anyway.

If you buy a motorset, it can likely have a cut harness (even if it says complete harness) missing starter, alternator, intercooler piping, radiator hoses, heater hoses, etc. etc!!! And it wont come with a radiator.

Also try www.venus-auto.com

That is where we get all of our clips.

You can get a Skyline motor clip from them for $1200 and it spank an SR20.
Take the other $1300 left over for mods.
nismoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2004, 06:51 pm   #9 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

THought about doing RB20 but the parts are a bit harder to come by.
SR240SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2004, 04:43 am   #10 (permalink)
Fanatic Tremekian

What parts? I can tell where to get just about anything you need.

I have about 3 grand in my swap and have all kinds of bolt-on mods. I've also beaten all 4 SR's that I have raced and 2 of them had more mods than me. I'm running 13.70's at 103-104mph spinning through first and second (no LSD) with a filter, exhaust, and a boost controller.

SR is much easier to come up with parts though, at least you can get them a whole lot faster.
Old 27 Sep 2004, 02:23 pm   #11 (permalink)
Administrator

eVo8FrEaK PM me. i get good deals on SR20DET with everything you need for the swap.

PSP Videos
MediWar | GiroPets

skylight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Sep 2004, 10:04 pm   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Default thanx ......

jus thanx for helpin me out and stuff with this swap and gettin more info on it....i saw someone say that if this is my first swap...well this is my first swap...theres one specific question....in a magazine i read... they mentioned that a black top sr20det engine is better so if theres a big difference between a red top and a black top feel free to help me out on that too so .....thanx a lot guys....
Old 27 Sep 2004, 10:29 pm   #13 (permalink)
Young Noob

Send a message via MSN to 5LEEPER

oh shit yeah!!!

definately go the black top if you can.... they are newer, more reliable, stronger with better internals, T28 turbo instead of the red top T25g and better injectors...

if you can definately go the black top... also find out what it is from, eg S14 or S15 cause the S14 has the T28 and the S15 has the T28ball bearing, and is newer.
5LEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2004, 09:01 am   #14 (permalink)
Fanatic Tremekian

If you buy the correct SR (or CA) for your model of car...
CA18DET for 89-90
SR Redtop for 91-94
SR Blacktop for S14
or SR Blacktop for S15

it will be much easier to wire into the car. Nissan changed the wiring achitecture from model to model. A CA will easily drop into an 89-90 but an SR needs a little more wiring work done. Same for all the others as well. They all have different plugs on the harnesses and different colors for the wires as well. An S15 blacktop into a 89-90 should be a lot of fun to wire. The retop also has the better flowing head than the blacktops. If you pplan to huck the factory turbo in the trash anyway... the red is the way to go. Also the S15 blacktop comes with that REALLY SHITTY 6-speed. MAJOR reliability problems if you get more than about 300hp out of the motor. It has the same size case as the 5 speed but with another gear stuffed in there. Thats why you see alot of the Drift S15's with S14 5-speeds with better internals in them
Old 13 Dec 2004, 12:20 pm   #15 (permalink)
Cool Tremekian

For any SR20 I would personally go to http://www.totaljdm.com/ to make the purchase. Reason why they have been known to deliver what they promissed. And the prices aren't bad at all either for what you are geting. The only thing is that they don't carry clips since the damnd has increased by a lot.
FRESH_AZ is offline   Reply With Quote