Tremek Car Videos - Street Car Drag Racing Videos  

Go Back   Tremek Car Videos - Street Car Drag Racing Videos > Car Tech Section > Performance Modifications

Tremek Car Video Forum

Custom Wheels
Compression too high?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Nov 2006, 10:10 am   #1 (permalink)
Cool Tremekian

Send a message via AIM to nickaliss
Default Compression too high?

I think I want to get a supercharger for my stang next summer, but I'm running just about 10:1 compression on a totally stock bottom end due to two accounts of shaving the heads. Would a low boost SC (NOVI 1000 or something at 6 pounds or so) put me in the danger zone as far as burning head gaskets or something?

Project - 1986 Mustang LX convertable 3.8 with a 3-speed auto...a couple years later, we'll call it a 1990 GT convertable 5.0 5-speed with the following mods: lunati cam, 3.73 gears, 2.5 inch exhaust (minus cats, plus flowmasters and some headers), stock e7 heads with some porting and bigger valves (powerheads.com). Tubular GT40 intake, 24lb injectors, bigger MAF and TB. Roller rockers (1.6), under drive pulley kit.
nickaliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Nov 2006, 03:53 pm   #2 (permalink)
LSxless In Seattle

I aint great knowing motors and whatnot but I would guess taht you would definetly (sp) need to lower the compression to run a sc safely
Memphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2006, 08:45 am   #3 (permalink)
Senior Tremekian

Burning head gaskets wouldnt be my concern - detonation would be. You will not be making optimal power with static compression that high. You need to have a long term game plan of what you want to do.. if its going to be a blower car, build around that plan. Otherwise, you will never be happy with the overall results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickaliss View Post
I think I want to get a supercharger for my stang next summer, but I'm running just about 10:1 compression on a totally stock bottom end due to two accounts of shaving the heads. Would a low boost SC (NOVI 1000 or something at 6 pounds or so) put me in the danger zone as far as burning head gaskets or something?
BOTLFEDLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2006, 12:22 pm   #4 (permalink)
Cool Tremekian

Send a message via AIM to nickaliss

I guess I'll just look into putting together another motor for a blower if that's the case, I really don't want to put too much money into the stock block if I'm gonna have to stop at 450 hp for fear of busting the block itself.

Ultimately I want a 4-bolt main 331 running gobs of boost, setting up the car to run a stroked 351 doesn't sound too appealing to me. Any thoughts?

Project - 1986 Mustang LX convertable 3.8 with a 3-speed auto...a couple years later, we'll call it a 1990 GT convertable 5.0 5-speed with the following mods: lunati cam, 3.73 gears, 2.5 inch exhaust (minus cats, plus flowmasters and some headers), stock e7 heads with some porting and bigger valves (powerheads.com). Tubular GT40 intake, 24lb injectors, bigger MAF and TB. Roller rockers (1.6), under drive pulley kit.
nickaliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Nov 2006, 04:03 pm   #5 (permalink)
Obsessed Tremekian

go for it, the 5.0L is a tough mother. The LS1 has 10.1.1 comp and a buddy of mine ran a P1SC s/c'er w/ the correct blower cam and meth injection and he made 587 rwhp and 544 rwtq.....safely w/ the correct and proper tuning. This is on a stock botton end aluminum block. Do your research and run it correctly, many have done this before you w/ success. Ask around on some mustang specific tech boards, I'm sure you will find better help. Don't be surprised if you don't make some " killer " numbers, hope for 330ish rwhp and then you wont be disappointed. Remember, running lower compression pistons and heads will give you the ability to crank that boost through the roof w/ a pulley and belt swap, but keep it regular and running 8 psi should be gravy.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 06:46 pm   #6 (permalink)
Young Noob

if this motor is your daily driver bread and butter I wouldn't do it unless you plan on running race gas in it and nothing else period.. detonation will be there and will be pegging away at your motor hard especially if your not running enough octane!

91 gmc syclone
91 mustang gt (turbo) and probably selling
01 Kawasaki zx12r (dyno'd 197rwhp)
88 mustang lx bolt on daily driver
03 sb cobra (sold)
90 mustang lx (sold)
87 buick gn (sold)
Boostedpimp is offline   Reply With Quote