Tremek Car Videos - Street Car Drag Racing Videos  

Go Back   Tremek Car Videos - Street Car Drag Racing Videos > Car Tech Section > Performance Modifications

Tremek Car Video Forum

Custom Wheels
Torque Problems on E46 M3

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2006, 04:58 pm   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Torque Problems on E46 M3

Graduation is coming up soon, and theres rumors in my family that i will be recieveing a brand spanking new M3 w/sport package before i head off 2 medical school. hence all the M3 posts lately!! but i have come 2 a problem, since i have friends that own evo's, gixxer 600s, and 12 sec hondas, i dont know if my new car can hang with em atleast from a dig. cmon 262 ft-lbs of torque!? :banghead: and with an smg i can't launch more then 3800 on S6, dsc off!?

Im more interested in straight line performance so should i get 6mt or Smg??
Is there to mechanically bypass the 155 mph limit??
How do i take care of my torque problem w/out a big budget mod?? (i.e. force induction)
Boost3dSkyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2006, 05:22 pm   #2 (permalink)
Regular Tremekian

Send a message via AIM to Sick srt-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost3dSkyline
Graduation is coming up soon, and theres rumors in my family that i will be recieveing a brand spanking new M3 w/sport package before i head off 2 medical school. hence all the M3 posts lately!! but i have come 2 a problem, since i have friends that own evo's, gixxer 600s, and 12 sec hondas, i dont know if my new car can hang with em atleast from a dig. cmon 262 ft-lbs of torque!? :banghead: and with an smg i can't launch more then 3800 on S6, dsc off!?

How do i take care of my torque problem w/out a big budget mod?? (i.e. force induction)

I got bad news for you. M3's can't even hang with my SRT-4 unless they have a bit of modding done. (Thankfully, I'm no where NEAR stock).

There's LOTS of mods available for the M3 (even newest generations of them) however since it's a M3, it's gonna be $$$ no matter which way you look.

My advice, Intake, Exhaust, CHIP (or ECM Flash) whatever it is there doing to the ECM now, and some tuning time.
Old 11 Feb 2006, 06:35 pm   #3 (permalink)
Cool Tremekian

Send a message via Yahoo to HvyMetalAvenger

i would rather have an M3 than a neon, oops I mean srt4, any day, no matter how modded the srt4 was. BMWs have much better build quality, reliability and they look a whole lot cooler. you should be happy that you are getting an M3, just a few simple mods (intake, exhaust, chip, maybe a more aggressive cam) and your car will be so much cooler than your friends hondas, and it wiil be able to handle the power way better too.

"Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol."
HvyMetalAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2006, 07:08 pm   #4 (permalink)
Regular Tremekian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HvyMetalAvenger
i would rather have an M3 than a neon, oops I mean srt4, any day, no matter how modded the srt4 was. BMWs have much better build quality, reliability and they look a whole lot cooler. you should be happy that you are getting an M3, just a few simple mods (intake, exhaust, chip, maybe a more aggressive cam) and your car will be so much cooler than your friends hondas, and it wiil be able to handle the power way better too.
First, you can diss all you want on the neon. My insurance AND registration says neon, so it's SUPER cheap, eats pony cars for fun, and doesn't cost much to mod and beat the piss out of. Anyways enough on that....

As far as moding the M3, it's going to be more costly, and agree'd with HvyMetal, a MUCH better building platform.

Every single damn car I have a HARD time catching/passing on the auto- cross track are either SUPER modified Miata's, WRX's, EVo's or M3's. And all for good reasons.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 10:48 am   #5 (permalink)
Banned

thanks for the information:thumb:

I think I will start out with an Gruppe M carbon fiber intake and Active Autowerke Exhaust for starters

but if I get an e46 w/ warranty, I can't touch it:banghead:

oops did I say Medical School? I mean Nursing School.
Old 14 Feb 2006, 01:03 pm   #6 (permalink)
Regular Tremekian

Quote:
thanks for the information:thumb:

I think I will start out with an Gruppe M carbon fiber intake and Active Autowerke Exhaust for starters

but if I get an e46 w/ warranty, I can't touch it:banghead:

oops did I say Medical School? I mean Nursing School.
That is a MYTH!!! Thanks to the Magnuson-Moss Act.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...s/warranty.htm
Old 14 Feb 2006, 03:45 pm   #7 (permalink)
Banned

:thumpup:
Old 19 Feb 2006, 09:21 pm   #8 (permalink)
Senior Tremekian

Send a message via AIM to jdmlude2000 Send a message via MSN to jdmlude2000

i run a full supersprint "race" exhaust and header system with a tms carbon fiber intake and that seems fine for me plus it is pretty bad ass sounding...

the tourqe isnt that big of a problem that it may seem. you dont need much

any revs above 3800 u are just gonna burn the shit out of ur tires so you really dont need to go any higher.

the m3 in my book will give you more respect then a neon cuz you'd be able to smoke him in the twisties anyday

haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer99 View Post
WOW THANKS FOR THAT IMPORTANT INFORMATION! lets all get onto the short bus and take a trip to who gives a shit.

BANNED
congrats bmxer i haven't changed my sig in a REALLY LONG time but that was ... inspirational
jdmlude2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2006, 09:52 am   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmlude2000
i run a full supersprint "race" exhaust and header system with a tms carbon fiber intake and that seems fine for me plus it is pretty bad ass sounding...

the tourqe isnt that big of a problem that it may seem. you dont need much

any revs above 3800 u are just gonna burn the shit out of ur tires so you really dont need to go any higher.

the m3 in my book will give you more respect then a neon cuz you'd be able to smoke him in the twisties anyday
No way in hell is it keepn up in the twisties
Old 20 Feb 2006, 12:02 pm   #10 (permalink)
Regular Tremekian

Apparently you guys have NO IDEA, what the ACR is, and or how much aftermarket support we have in the suspension department.

Go ask the local M3 guys how they like having MY "neon" either in the lead or tail gating in the twisties. :thumpup:
Old 20 Feb 2006, 03:18 pm   #11 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick srt-4
Apparently you guys have NO IDEA, what the ACR is, and or how much aftermarket support we have in the suspension department.

Go ask the local M3 guys how they like having MY "neon" either in the lead or tail gating in the twisties. :thumpup:
Ive heard of this package from some Evo tuners around here that hunt Srt-4s daily. costs like 5grand w/ stage 3 mopar however the Srt-4 is still Fwd and can never have the balance of the M3
Old 20 Feb 2006, 05:26 pm   #12 (permalink)
Regular Tremekian

Quote:
Ive heard of this package from some Evo tuners around here that hunt Srt-4s daily. costs like 5grand w/ stage 3 mopar however the Srt-4 is still Fwd and can never have the balance of the M3
Well anyone paying MORE then $1300 for mopar S3 coilovers, are being raped.

However, I have pissed off MANY Evo, WRX, and M3 owners in the twisties. And you are right on the balance issue. FWD is an issue, but one that can be generally overcome by a "good" driver.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 05:48 pm   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick srt-4
Well anyone paying MORE then $1300 for mopar S3 coilovers, are being raped.

However, I have pissed off MANY Evo, WRX, and M3 owners in the twisties. And you are right on the balance issue. FWD is an issue, but one that can be generally overcome by a "good" driver.
y would anybody pay 5grand for coilovers?? thats y it includes mopar stage 3 turbo, but screw that, i'd rather put in a bigger and better turbo set up!!
Old 20 Feb 2006, 11:55 pm   #14 (permalink)
Senior Tremekian

Send a message via AIM to jdmlude2000 Send a message via MSN to jdmlude2000

maybe its the twisties maybe its the drivers come see me and then maybe u'll see how to lose sight of some m3 taillights

just ****in wit ya...i bet u've spent as much as a stock m3 by now though

haha
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxer99 View Post
WOW THANKS FOR THAT IMPORTANT INFORMATION! lets all get onto the short bus and take a trip to who gives a shit.

BANNED
congrats bmxer i haven't changed my sig in a REALLY LONG time but that was ... inspirational
jdmlude2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2006, 11:46 am   #15 (permalink)
Senior Tremekian

The M3 is a nice car, but a drag racer it is not. According to internet lore, there are bone stock M3's running low 13's or possibly high 12's, but based on what Ive seen at the tracks, its high 13's or low 14's depending on the driver. Sticky tires will probably yield the most bang for your buck if drag racing is your thing. Next would be a nitrous system, but its not as cheap as many ppl assume it will be after you factor in all the safety devices. Figure about $1000-1500 for everything.

Quote:

BOTLFEDLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote