Tremek Car Videos - Street Car Drag Racing Videos  

Go Back   Tremek Car Videos - Street Car Drag Racing Videos > Car Tech Section > Performance Modifications

Tremek Car Video Forum

Custom Wheels
8v,16v, or vr6 swap??

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2005, 07:29 pm   #1 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Default 8v,16v, or vr6 swap??

Well, im interesting in buying a 91 or 92 gti for a project car, since im doing the mechanical aspects first, im unsure of what engine to start with..options..

1. I hear that stock 8v are pretty crappy(stock) but rebuilt ones can have some incredible power..
2. The 16v, i hear has a little more potential than the 8v...
3. Just swap the engine for a vr6, if i go with that...eventually ill get a turbo

Im looking for power with out a big a price tag...recommendations on which would be best..and estimates would be great thanks.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 07:59 pm   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Tremekian

Send a message via AIM to JGT8229

vr6 2.0's rnt really that great even if u turbo then most of them only have about 200hp. vr6's are better motor's too. there is a turbo kit for a 12v vr6 for 3500 that gives u 300whp
Old 14 Sep 2005, 07:16 am   #3 (permalink)
Frog eater modo

The VR6 is heavy : bad balance and need a lot of money to have more power.

The 1L8 T is a better choice in my opinion.
With a new ECU, intercooler, air filter and full exhaust, you can hit 260hp with full stock internal

Corrado 1L8T vs Mitsu Evo 6
Old 14 Sep 2005, 07:58 am   #4 (permalink)
XXX

Send a message via AIM to Haakon Send a message via MSN to Haakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd
The VR6 is heavy : bad balance and need a lot of money to have more power.

The 1L8 T is a better choice in my opinion.
With a new ECU, intercooler, air filter and full exhaust, you can hit 260hp with full stock internal

Corrado 1L8T vs Mitsu Evo 6
Ive heard that some of the 1.8t turbos are weaksauce and can only ceep it goin up to 230-240 hp?
Old 14 Sep 2005, 08:35 am   #5 (permalink)
Frog eater modo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88modell
Ive heard that some of the 1.8t turbos are weaksauce and can only ceep it goin up to 230-240 hp?
I don't know
Old 14 Sep 2005, 08:40 am   #6 (permalink)
XXX

Send a message via AIM to Haakon Send a message via MSN to Haakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd
I don't know
Im pretty shure of that :thumb:
Old 14 Sep 2005, 10:53 am   #7 (permalink)
Obsessed Tremekian

vr6's are only 200 pounds heaver, thats the most famous swap for a mk2. a 1.8t would be better if your on a budget but i think there harder to swap. they can handle 300whp on stock internal's
Old 14 Sep 2005, 05:19 pm   #8 (permalink)
Regular Tremekian

Send a message via AIM to Sick srt-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rydinturbo
vr6's are only 200 pounds heaver, thats the most famous swap for a mk2. a 1.8t would be better if your on a budget but i think there harder to swap. they can handle 300whp on stock internal's
The 8v's are worthless unless you want a boat anchor.

The 16v's can be rebuilt to run AWESOME power and some big A$$ turbo's.

The VR6 is a balance nightmare. parts are expensive, and moding is just as much. SOME CAN, SOME CAN NOT hold 300 WHP. The vr6 of the "corrado" generation that can be supercharged or were supercharged can. The gen's from 2001 up can as well I believe. WAY TOO EXPENSIVE in comparison of what can be done with a 16v.

My advice: Your best bet, to build an all out bad ass 16v.
Old 14 Sep 2005, 07:34 pm   #9 (permalink)
Obsessed Tremekian

12v vr6 or g60
Old 17 Sep 2005, 06:49 pm   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

16v all the way you can make a lot of hp with one
Old 17 Sep 2005, 09:01 pm   #11 (permalink)
LSxless In Seattle

Move the firewall back and put in a 350 j/k i think the 8 valve would be good i've seen parts for them at swap meets and stuff for pretty cheap my dads 84 jetta had a 1.8 8 valve and i don't have a clue what it had in it other than a hella lumpy cam and it ran like 14.1 on one of those g-tech things couldn't be too bad then
Old 20 Sep 2005, 10:28 pm   #12 (permalink)
Cool Tremekian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick srt-4
The 8v's are worthless unless you want a boat anchor.

The 16v's can be rebuilt to run AWESOME power and some big A$$ turbo's.

The VR6 is a balance nightmare. parts are expensive, and moding is just as much. SOME CAN, SOME CAN NOT hold 300 WHP. The vr6 of the "corrado" generation that can be supercharged or were supercharged can. The gen's from 2001 up can as well I believe. WAY TOO EXPENSIVE in comparison of what can be done with a 16v.

My advice: Your best bet, to build an all out bad ass 16v.
Hmmm..... Ok, well, you can listen to the SRT guy, or you can hear a couple things about VWs from people who know. BTW, Corrado VR6s never came supercharged.

First of all, "8v as a boat-anchor"?! LoL, hardly, check out the SCCA and see how many 2.0L 8Vs there are running (mostly in Rabbits) with side-draft Weber's and racing heads. I had a Rabbit with a built 2.0L 8V and it was anything but slow. The 8Vs can be built to surprising numbers, people just don't give these things enough credit. Also, parts are cheap, throttle response is better than any 16V I've ever driven, and you can find good german racing parts for it (i.e. german racing heads, intakes). If you're thinking autocross, an 8V would be a pretty potent choice, once beefed up a bit.

The 16Vs are also pretty good for autocross. They have a bit more potential for power, but remember, you can make anything fast if you have the money. It's also a very easy swap. A good amount of after-market stuff for it. Always a good choice as far as swaps go. Also, you might wanna check out G60s, 8V with stock S/C that can be boosted by Bahn Brenner to some nice numbers.

A VR6 is an awesome swap into a Mk2, although it wouldn't be my first choice if I was gonna autocross. My buddy drives one, and it's pretty damn fast; it hangs with my 24V off-the-line, and does pretty good on the freeway. An intake, exhaust, and a lightened flywheel will definitely cause some jaw-dropping :eek3: . If power and drag-ability is your goal, and the fact that you'd consider getting a turbo later, a VR6 is what you might heavily consider. They aren't too expensive, you can do a complete swap for under $3000 if you know where to look. Plus, 6 cylinders in a tiny Mk2 is just plain sick.

Then there's the ever popular 1.8T swap. Not too difficult of a swap into a Mk2, with probably the most after-market parts available for any VW motor. Like someone previously said, you can pick one up for around $2000 (I've seen them with trannies at this price), spend another $1000-$2000 for things like an intercooler, chip, intake, exhaust with downpipe, nice BOV and wastegate, etc... and you have yourself an extremely tough car to beat. It may be a little hard to stay in a straight line when the boost hits and the torque-steer starts telling you where it wants the car to go, but it's quite a rush. Me and a friend had built one of these, boosting 23psi, with well over 300hp @ the wheels, and I don't think I've ever been so impressed/scared for my life/stoked before. This is a very well-balanced swap that you'd be very satisfied with.

Now it's up to you to decide what exactly you want out of this project, and how many cylinders will be stuffed into the engine bay. Good luck!
Old 21 Sep 2005, 04:09 am   #13 (permalink)
Frog eater modo

:thanks: 24VR666
Really interesting to read, have you some links to see your car or those of your friends? :thumb:
What's the best VW forum for mods ?
Old 21 Sep 2005, 08:09 am   #14 (permalink)
Fanatic Tremekian

Dude just go wit the VR6!
Old 28 Sep 2005, 07:53 am   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Tremekian

Send a message via MSN to Marek

24vr666 there is a version of the corado that is super charged its the G6o, 4banger with supercharger. i saw a swap that is coming to be popular here in canada, its the audi TT engine swap, which apparently fits like a charm, so you should check that out. here is a page Boyd posted up a while ago, after seing the 32v northstar engine in an mk2
http://www.dutchdub.com/
roll it up and smoke it.
'92 944T, 3"straight pipe+18psi=fun-'91 244DL, stock
Closed Thread