Tremek Car Videos - Street Car Drag Racing Videos  

Go Back   Tremek Car Videos - Street Car Drag Racing Videos > Car Tech Section > Performance Modifications

Tremek Car Video Forum

Custom Wheels
impreza OBS swap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Jul 2005, 05:28 am   #1 (permalink)
Young Noob

Default impreza OBS swap

I currently own a 97' Subaru Outback sport it makes 135 hp and its completely stock. I have done some research and found out i could easily swap a wrx/sti engine into it with only changing a few parts (cross member, hanger braket). I have having a little trouble deciding what engine i want to put in to it though. I want the power of the 2.5 turbo sti (300 hp) but i really don't like the mpg (18/24) since this is going to be my daily driver. I could go with the 2.0 turbo wrx (277) mpg (20/27) and with a more open exaust and intake i feel i can get the power up to 300 and the mpg up to 22/29 but i am unsure about thoes numbers. Another think is i am trying to decide weather to stick with my 5 spd manual (syncro between 1 and 2 is really worn (i wonder y )) or find a sti 6 spd or of course get the wrx 5spd out of my donor car. I know a guy who owns a salvage yard and since this is hurricane season there has got to be at least one wrx to have a tree fall on it but i would just like some input on what to do.
thank you very much for the help.
Jake
paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jul 2005, 09:03 am   #2 (permalink)
Obsessed Tremekian

sounds like a good plan. I dont know too much about scoobies but i'd say go with the wrx motor since you're concerned about gas milage and if the sti and wrx trannies would be about the same price if you could find them AND they both would mount up the same then deffinitrly go for the 6 speed :thumb:
Old 24 Jul 2005, 06:04 pm   #3 (permalink)
Young Noob

well all of this is just preliminary reasearch for whats best for me i havent started checking the juck yards for cars. So i really don't know whats availiable. I guess i'm looking for a 6spd b/c i love to do turns (to me its alot more fun then strait line) .
thank you for the input
Old 25 Jul 2005, 04:26 pm   #4 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Expect to pay anywhere from 4-6K for an STi 6 speed tranny.
HoSlappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jul 2005, 06:52 pm   #5 (permalink)
Young Noob

well i wasn't expecting to get one new so i was expecting to spend like 3.5k on the motor and 1.2k on the tranny.

This is a little off topic but not really since it is the same car but i was wondering if it was possible to swap the rear spindals from the wrx to my impreza so i could have rear discs instead of the weak drums?
Old 26 Jul 2005, 01:14 am   #6 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

That price I gave you is for the used one. They are in such high demand with regular rexxer breaking trannies that the price has gone through the roof. In order to do the swap right you'll need the tranny, driveshaft, and the R180 diff and axles. You could make it work with the R160 diff but its no where near as strong and if you plan on running DCCD(center diff control) plan on spending a little more to get the controller and everything wired in.

For 3.5K you could get a complete JDM v7 or v8 STi motor(used longblock) maybe even with turbo and TMIC and make some good power with that. I would spend over 2K for a WRX motor unless its really low mileage. PM me if you want info on where to locate motors or go to NASIOC and talk to those fools.
HoSlappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Jul 2005, 09:00 am   #7 (permalink)
Young Noob

so basically you are saying i should stick with my 5spd and just replace the syncro between 1st and 2nd. and just replace the motor i guess i could do that its not that big of a sacrifice i read somewhere that the sti and wrx trannys are really tall ne way. i wish i could change my final on my own gear box so when i am going 85 on the interstate it would be at a lower rpm (less fuel) but 3.5k rpm isn't that bad i guess i will just have to slow down o well thank you for the input. i might have to take u up on that offer to find a motor but i'm just doing a little research for now until i earn a little bit of money to pay for it. Its always about the money.
Jake
Old 27 Jul 2005, 07:29 pm   #8 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Send a message via AIM to subiedude03

if u stick with ur tranny ur ganna be f*cked it will break (2nd gear) if u go with a wrx tranny u just have to be careful sti tranny ur good but its pricy. i would recomend getting a sti v7 5 speed. some are for sale at clubwrx.net under the vendors forums. good luck
subiedude03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2005, 07:47 pm   #9 (permalink)
Young Noob

well what exactly do u mean break, i mean i was planning on replacing the clutch with a much stronger one and replacing the syncro but how would i "break" my tranny. (I'm not really that technical so i am trying to learn as much as i can b4 i start so i can have the best idea of what i need)
jake
Old 13 Aug 2005, 11:36 am   #10 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Send a message via AIM to subiedude03

subie trannies are weak if you treat it right then it wont but i have a 02 wrx the first tranny broke lauching it at 3600 rpm the 04 wrx tranny is alot stronger however just be careful
subiedude03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2005, 11:31 am   #11 (permalink)
Young Noob

doesn't stronger = heavier?
but then again broke tranny = +money = going no where = useless upgrade
i don't really launch very much since i dont really drag race i mainly like the game lets see if u can keep up in some switchbacks in the middle of wv
very fun
jake
Old 22 Aug 2005, 03:29 pm   #12 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

You do not need to upgrade to a 6-speed. So many people think the WRX trannies are weak. It's just that so many people in the US don't know how to use proper technique or throw a sticky clutch in there. Subaru has used the same TY series tranny in the STi & WRX since 93, unless it was a 6-speed or a type RA, and you don't see a 1/3rd of the trannies problems in the UK or Japan. If you aren't going to mod it passed 350hp then you don't need to get a 6-speed. But if you find out replacing your synchros will be a few grand then for a little more money you can ugrade to a type RA hardened gearset.

Jump over to www.rs25.com and read through the "swap" forum, we have lot's of good info there or Nasioc's forum but most of the guys in there are on rs25 also.
puckaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2005, 11:45 pm   #13 (permalink)
Young Noob

Are you sure on ur pricing for the syncro replacement b/c i was told the syncros run for about 150-250 each, umm is the couple grand for labor of taking out the engine and replacing it (r&r) b/c i was planing on doing the syncros or tranny swap when i swaped the engine.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 02:58 pm   #14 (permalink)
Fresh Noob

Yeah labor is where they get you. If you pull the tranny and take it to them it will be a lot less. Of course if you get the WRX tranny you're set.
puckaveli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Aug 2005, 06:54 pm   #15 (permalink)
Young Noob

well of course. You guys have been a great help and i love the input instead of writeing this twice puck i will just say it here you have been a great help in getting me in the correct direction on where i need to go or at least start looking since i have some time b4 i can save enough to buy the car when and if i find one. i have printed both threads and have them put up on my wall next to my comp where i can reference quickly if anyone has any extra comments just email them to me at pmardosa@earthlink.net just put obs swap in the subject so i don't delete it (damn spam)